Kimzowi Awikhigan by P.P. Wz8khilain, 1830
Page 72, Translated by Jesse Bruchac 9/5/2014
VIEW ORIGINAL PAGE
1. wawalmeguat / ali / pmi / aihdit / waligijik
it is known / the way it is / around / those who are / beautiful
Its well known how it is around the beautiful ones,
2. ugik / kijianawak / w8bigijik,
these / our brothers / who are white,
these our white brothers,
3. ta / ahchi / wli / wawalmeguat / ali / askamimi / t8m8 / chowi
and / also / well / known / the way that / forever / anywhere / surely
and its also well known that there will always be one somewhere
4. ait / t8wa / kadawi / nanak8kahl8t / ketm8gi
he who is / speak well / want to / he who becomes helpless / poor
who speaks up in support of the poor and helpless
5. aln8ba / w8wipach / li / pguat8gua;
Indian / enabling / towards / one who earns;
Indian enabling him to earn a living;
6. pita / nawa / wawalm8da / ali / awak8ji / wawkwadalit,
very / therefor / if he knows / how / slightly / the sense that he has,
Therefor, when he knows how little is his sense,
pita / wig8dam,
very / happy,
he is very happy,
7. ta / wguilawataw8n / waji / chit8iwi / li / nolmahamelit, / waji / n8nalawi / lakwamh8t
and / the way he searched / for / worse / until / he that is weak, / to / everywhere / the cheater
and he searches for the worst things until he is weak, for everywhere he is that one cheats.
8. t8nitta / 8lli / wlaldak.
however / continually / that he thinks.
Nevertheless, it continues in this way because that is how he thinks.
KADOSMOW8GAN. THE ACT OF DRINKING
9. Asma / w8bigit / adali / pai8kwkwa / u / mnahanok,
before / the one who is white / here / he came to us / this / island on
Before the white man came to us on this Island,
10. 8dat8m8 / kagui / aiwissa / t8ni / kizi / tgosmikasik / ala / wanismikasik.
nowhere / something / that was / how / able / that drink which stimulates / or / that which makes one drunk.
the was nothing someone could drink to stimulate or intoxicate.
11. Majimiwi / nawa / s8z8gnawi / pm8wzinaza,
Always / therefor / quietly / that they lived,
Therefor they always lived a quiet life,
12. s8z8gnawi / chowit8zossa / ta / sozipki / wl8bad8zossa
quietly / they wanted to live / and / very long / they made good use
They strived to live humbly and make good use of
t8ni / paguat8zik;
what / that which they earned;
what they earned;
13. ta / 8da / awani / owakazazmowen / wdal8mhaga,
and / not / someone / he burn it / the inside of the body,
also one did not burn their body internally,
14. majimiwi / nawa / s8z8gl8wzoshanik / ng8niagak / ta / pita
always / therefor / they were healthy / the ancestors / and / very
They were therefor always healthier, for our ancestors
long they lived.
lived a long life.
15. Ni / 8zoko / anegitta / kadosmaw8gan / m8ja / talosaik
However / its said / after / drinking / came / there to
However, by contrast as soon as liguor came
among the Indians,
16. nitta / adoji / m8ja / kitm8gi / todabit / ta
immediately / so much / start / misery / was so placed / and
Immediately the Indians started having hard times and
kzik8wi / sikbasit aln8ba.
abrupt / he melts / the indian.
abruptly began to melt away.
17. K8gasichbiwi / wdeli / kitm8gihogon / kadosmow8gan,
In several ways / how them / it harms / drinking,
The liquor harms them in several ways,
18. oji / wanihadon / owaw8damw8gan, / wdel8badamw8gan, / wgiskom,
from / they loose / intellegence, / property, / his day (time?),
For they loose their sense, property, time,
19. wgikinawakamigzow8gan, / wb8batamw8gan, / ta / owagiton
They way they act / their religion, / and / they ruin
their behavior, religion, and they ruin
the inside of their body.
20. T8ni adoji / m8ja / paji / wigismit / wnigihigui,
When / start / even / wanting drink / a parent,
When a parent begins to want liquor,
21. ni adoji / m8ja / kitm8gi / todabit,
that's where / starts / hardship / position,
that's when the hardship begins and times get tough,
22. agma / ta / mziwi / t8nuhi / nanawalm8ji.
he / and / all / whoever / he cares for.
for him and everyone who depends on him.